Today i’ve spent a long time in front of my computer writing for the novel i’m working on. As I was supposed to making pizza for guests on Saturday but ended up making so much food we did not need the pizza I made one for tonight. I’ve been experimenting with vegan cheese a fair bit lately and this is the recipe I use for pizza. It is fairly mild so you can use a fair amount although this recipe is enough for two pizzas. You can also add various herbs and spices to the basic recipe to personalise it.
1 cup water
1 cup nutritional yeast
2 tablespoons cornpowder
1 tablespoon plain flour
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon garlic granules
1 tablespoon Italian herbs (you can change this to whichever herb or spice you like or leave it out completely)
2 tablespoons water
1 tablespoon canola oil (you can use regular vegetable oil here but I like the colour of canola)
1. Place all ingredients except for the water and oil in a blender and blend until mixed together.
2. Transfer the mixture into a small saucepan and stir over a medium heat until it starts to thicken. Keep an eye on this as once it starts to thicken it does so quickly.
3. When the mixture is thick allow to bubble for a couple of seconds as this removes any flour taste.
4. Remove from the heat, add the remaining oil and water and whisk thoroughly. Your mixture should now be fairly firm but still able to be poured.
5. Add to your pizza and allow to cook for about 10 minutes until it films over.
This recipe also suits as a dip for fresh salad vegetables or for a firmer macaroni cheese.