I absolutely love mushroom pate! Only problem with this is all premade mushroom pate in this country come with some sort of dairy ingredient. This pate however tastes like it has cream in it but it is completely vegan, quick and easy to make. It is also very easy to adapt as you can chance the seeds or nuts you use, add herbs, add extra ingredients like sundried tomatoes. Pretty perfect!
1 chopped onion (as fine or rough as you like)
450 grams sliced mushrooms (any type of mushroom works here so personal preference)
1 clove garlic or 1 teaspoon garlic puree
1 cup seeds (you can use anything here from sunflower seeds to pine nuts again it is personal preference. I use sunflower seeds as they are one of my favourites)
1 cup nutritional yeast flakes (you can add more if you love these as much as I do)
Salt and Pepper to season
1. Cook the chopped onions gently with a tiny bit of oil or non-dairy butter until they start to soften and turn slightly brown.
2. Add the mushrooms to the onions and cook over a medium heat until the mushrooms start to turn a golden brown. This takes about 5 minutes depending on how hot your pan is.
3. When the mushrooms are a nice brown colour remove from heat and leave to cool completely down.
4. While the mushrooms are cool measure all the other ingredients into a food processor and when they are cool add the mushrooms.
5. Blend all ingredients in the food processor until everything is mixed together. When the pate is at a thickness you enjoy serve.
As with many recipes this tastes yummy when first made however if you leave it in the fridge for a couple of hours the flavours have more time to mix so it is even better! I serve mine with homemade bread but baked potatoes, toast, crackers all work equally well.