I have a really bad allergic reaction to chocolate. Sucks I know right! A few years ago I had a body piercing which went wrong and made me incredibly allergic to nickel. As a result I can’t eat any foods containing nickel and I have to be incredibly careful if I am touching nickel. Chocolate is something which should be in everyone’s life whether vegan or not and thankfully these brownies taste just like chocolate, are amazing hot or cold and would fool anyone into thinking they were not vegan. There is a lot of sugar in these so a little goes a very long way if you are on a diet but as a treat they are difficult to beat!
250g plain flour
400g white sugar (usual note applies here – not all sugar is vegan)
65g carob powder (or cocoa if you don’t have allergies)
1tsp baking powder
1 cup vegetable oil
1 cup water
2 tsbp vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 175 degrees c.
2. In a large bowl mix all the dry ingredients together and then add the wet ingredients to the mixture.
3. Mix all ingredients together with a whisk until there are no flour lumps. It will begin to feel quite stiff.
4. Pour into a baking mold (ideal size for this is 16x16cm)
5. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes. You will know it is ready when a fork comes away cleanly.
6. Cool and cut into squares when fully cooled.
This freezes really well so you can have a piece just as you like but ensure you cool it completely before you cut into squares and certainly before freezing.