I was supposed to be going to the Botanic Gardens in Glasgow tonight however as I was not feeling too well I stayed in and made comfort food instead. When I was vegetarian I used to live off cream of mushroom soup and fresh bread. Yummy, comforting, delicious and really good for you. When I became vegan obviously that could not happen anymore. Well that was before this soup! This is vegan, really easy to make and tastes just wonderful! It tastes like there is lots of cream but absolutely no dairy is here.
350 grams mushrooms roughly chopped (I like to taste my mushrooms so I like big chunks but you can do these as thinly as you like)
1 onion finely chopped
2 cloves minced garlic
1 tbsp vegan margarine or oil
2 tbsp plain flour
475 ml vegan milk
700 ml vegan stock
2 tablespoons cayenne pepper
Salt and pepper to season
1. In a large pot gently saute the mushrooms, onion and garlic until the onions are soft and the mushrooms are turning a golden colour.
2. Add the vegan stock to the pot, reduce the heat to a low setting, cover with a lid and simmer for about 50 minutes.
3. The onions should be soft and mushrooms very gold now. Add in the flour and milk and stir to combine. You should be really careful to avoid lumps so make sure that you stir adequately.
4. When there are no flour lumps add the salt and pepper and place the lid back on the pot. Simmer for about another 40 minutes. Ensure you check regularly to make sure the liquid does not stick to the bottom of the pot.
5. Ensure the soup is seasoned to your taste and serve with fresh bread.
This soup does really well kept in the fridge but does not freeze well. It is easy to make though so that should not really be a problem plus it tastes so yummy you wont need to worry about it not being eaten!